Sunday, June 24, 2012

16 blocks done 8 ways

Experimenting in art is crucial. A great way to do this is to work on a series of small canvases (this week's art prompt, by the way.) My dad recently made me 16 wood blocks for creating art on, in and around. These little blocks are commonly known as art brownies. Every few days I am going to pick two of them and experiment with something new.



This week I chose to sew little felted houses. They can be hung on the wall, sat on the dog, or placed in a bookshelf. I even used one as a pincushion this week!


Actually, I have always loved little colorful houses. Years ago I created a series of paintings on this theme, and I still love them to this day.

"Sunshine City"

I began with raw blocks of wood.


Next, I hand dyed pieces of recycled felt blanket...



... to get these bright and whimsical colors!


Viola!



Check back over the next few weeks to see what else I come up with for the remaining 14 blocks.





No comments:

Post a Comment