Saturday, May 12, 2012

Art Journaling

This week's art prompt is to decorate the cover of an art journal. I did this one a year ago, and what I love about it, is that it is my first art journal.



  I've never been one to keep a diary, and the thought of creating an illustrated diary didn't really appeal to me. I am one of those people who doodle on napkins and draw tattoos on my kids' arms with ball point pens. The creative process would eventually be scrubbed off with soap or unintentionally laundered in the pocket of my jeans. And then my friend Cheryl showed me her collection of art journals and I was smitten.  I went straight home that night and created this journal. In it I keep notes on upcoming art shows, sketches for new works, favourite quotes and inspirational images. I can't believe how often I thumb through this journal looking for an old sketch, which then often becomes a larger pieces of work. And although my kids still beg for a goofy tattoo once in awhile, I now concentrate my creative process in a journal. I can hardly wait to start my next one.



No comments:

Post a Comment