Saturday, April 7, 2012

Spend 5 minutes at your worktable

Today's art prompt seemed easy enough: allow yourself to sit at your worktable for five minutes. I looked around and immediately saw my half finished octopus which HAS to be finished ASAP! He still needs eyes, shaping and attaching to the Sea Maiden project.




I continued to sit for the remainder of 5 minutes. As I sat and surveyed the rest of my studio I started to feel guilty; started to feel my Irish. I felt a confession coming on. Forgive me father, for I have sinned.  It has been 3 months since I cleaned my studio and 2 months and 4 days since I fully completed a large project. Oh, the guilt! I saw unframed works, half finished paintings, encaustic wax, driftwood, fabric and yarns strewn about. Me... with 11 art shows this year and a studio tour breathing down my neck!


This is the prefect time to embrace your inner nerd. Get out your art journal and prepare to organize and make lists. Here are some of the things I do to help prioritize and organize my various art projects:

1. Make a checklist of all the art shows I wish to participate in order of deadlines for submission.
2. Make a list of all the major pieces I need to make and give each project a deadline.
3.Make a list of frames needed with sizes. Start framing pieces as they are completed. I hate doing things at the last minute!
4.Create an inventory of all my works of art, including prices and locations of where they are showing.
5. Plan on spending a couple of hours a day on my art and at least 1-2 full days.
6. Hang completed pieces on the wall with prices, for those in between dop in visitors. That way you won't have to scramble to pull out your artwork.

I keep a master binder (nerd!) that has a section for each major art show or studio tour I participate in. I keep all the minutes to every meeting, every receipt, updated inventories, every article that has ever been written on me, and every brochure or poster to these art shows. It all helps to keep me organized, so that when I find myself just sitting at my desk, looking at all the stuff I still need to do, I can keep from feeling overwhelmed.





No comments:

Post a Comment